Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Contaminating Butts

I admit it. I´ve smoked cigarettes just to know what it was like and I didn´t like it. I just didn´t liked the taste and if we think the habit of smoking is a lot of money. If we do a hypothetical math exercise we can take a person who uses 1 pack every day. Let´s say a pack of cigarettes is 5 dollars and 50 cents, multiply that 365 days a year, which would equal $2,007.50. In 5 years you would have spent $10,037! That´s quite a sum.

I was browsing for information on smoking and I found out an interest fact. I always thought cigarette´s butts were made of some cotton fiber or some sort of paper, but it is actually a plastic that takes decades to decompose. On top of that cigarette butts go down the sewers reaching the sea. A percentage of all ocean and beach debris is cigarette butts, OceanConservancy.org.
 
The Marine Debris Program also gives information on the composition of garbage that affects oceans, also mentioning that debris such as cigarettes butts have been found in the stomach content of some birds and other marine animals.


Browsing, I also came across this little computer that makes you a program to gradually stop smoking cigarettes. The LifeSign QuitKey Smoking Cessation Computer it is so small you can take it with you. You just need the commitment to stop smoking. My goal with this post is not to make you quit smoking, you do that if you want. Have a nice day!

46 comments:

  1. I smoke an unreasonably large amount of cigarettes. Probably one and a half packs a day, let's say $8's worth. Oh god...3k...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Smoked for 10 years - only when drinking - can't get hooked. And budds are gross, especially since birds choke on them

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is why i smoke a pipe. (not marijuana either, tobacco)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't smoke, can't stand it but good info.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i don't smoke alot but still, would not like to calculate cos of the headache i might get

    ReplyDelete
  6. im very glad i havent started smoking, nor do i plan to based off of other people's situation similarly to the above :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting, about the butts. Proud to be a non-smoker ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. people dont smoke for the taste, its good for relieving stress

    ReplyDelete
  9. It really is a wasteful habit.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Never smoked, never will, but I make up for it with video games :I

    ReplyDelete
  11. I used to smoke cigarettes, now whenever I smell them I feel a bit sick, its weird.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yeah, it's not worth it. I smoked for awhile in college, but ultimately I gave it up after a couple years. I just never became addicted to it and was totally fine just waking up and quitting one day. Also, if you gotta smoke, a pipe looks more distinguished and is better for both you and the environment.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I get this, what you're saying is that people should smoke non-filter cigarettes.

    ReplyDelete
  14. another reason to quit smoking.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well Smoking isnt a Habit its an Addiction and yeah i didnt liked it either.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am actually on day 2 of quitting...

    ReplyDelete
  17. I don't smoke because I never wanted to learn, and after looking at those numbers I wonder where all that money went.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I like you man, smoking is bad in any direction you look at it: money, health, social acceptance.

    ReplyDelete
  19. man it puts it into perspective. thats alot of money over the course of time. jesus, if thats not reason to quit...

    ReplyDelete
  20. 1.5 packs a day? that's pretty hardcore man :S

    ReplyDelete
  21. I smoke like 30 a day! very interesting m8 ;D

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow... I did not know this about cigarette-butts :O

    ReplyDelete
  23. And that.... is why I don't smoke.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wait, what? It's a plastic? Even more of a reason to dislike cigarettes!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Non-smoker myself, but have quite a few smoking friends. Will definitely lead them to this link and try to make them cease smoking. Thanks for the share.

    ReplyDelete
  26. tried smoking once or twice but it never took.

    ReplyDelete
  27. That's a why and many other reasons I don't smoke, drinking doesn't pollute and makes you happy xD

    ReplyDelete
  28. I can't even stand the smell of cigarettes.
    They're disgusting. D:

    ReplyDelete
  29. its a nasty habit for sure..and knowing this info makes it even worse, I dont think Ill be taking it up anytime soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. i always thought it was cotton, good thing people collect cigarette butts.....

    ReplyDelete
  31. thanks for the info, I didn't know that about the plastic. If someone wants to quit, but doesn't even know where to start, I would recommend talking to a pharmacist. there are a lot of products and people out there to help!

    ReplyDelete
  32. amazing all the polution

    ReplyDelete
  33. I do not smoke and i cant stand it..

    ReplyDelete
  34. every smoker should quit smoking

    ReplyDelete
  35. I recently quit smoking cigarettes. But only because I started smoking rolling tobacco! :)

    ReplyDelete
  36. So glad I'm not a smoker.

    ReplyDelete
  37. I honestly fucking hate cigarette butts. I don't know what it is about smokers but they are the biggest fucking literers ever.

    Those things are so toxic and they pollute the ground water.

    Good post good sir

    ReplyDelete
  38. pavement takes years to decompose

    ReplyDelete