Saturday, April 16, 2011

Air Pollution Affecting Europe.

      A recent report states that nitrogen largely produced by human activity ("vehicle exhausts, factories, artificial fertilisers and manure from intensive farming, etc.") is threatening biodiversity in Europe. According to the report two threats produced by the excess of nitrogen are:
  1. "It can make acidic soils too acidic to support their previous mix of species."
  2. Since nitrogen is a fertiliser "it favours wild plants that can maximise the use of nitrogen to help them grow."
This is from a study made in Europe, mainly England, I guess the rest of the World is in a similar situation.
Source: BBC News

20 comments:

  1. I wonder how bad the levels are in somewhere like china

    ReplyDelete
  2. what we've done to mother earth is a true crime :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like said, humanity isn't doing much good for the earth.

    ReplyDelete
  4. omg global heating or w/e is real

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nitrogen? i thought it would be Carbon monoxide interesting

    ReplyDelete
  6. man, the intake humans are going to have in a few years scares me

    ReplyDelete
  7. The effects should be interesting, if not scary, to see...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I somehow don't believe this... Probably because nitrogen accounts for such a large percentage of our atmosphere already - but then again I'm no scientist.

    ReplyDelete
  9. interesting I thought nitrogen was mainly inert in the atmosphere - cool info

    ReplyDelete
  10. not sure the 2nd one is a bad thing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That sucks. Wouldnt want to change the biodiversity. What are they going to do about it?

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's baddd, the bugs that live in the dirt are so important.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Problems in Europe, do like your ancestors, COME TO AMERICA! We got huge tracts o' land and attitudes you wouldn't believe!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This type of stuff terrifies me because I don't think anyone cares enough or believes the damage we all actually cause. Great post!

    Thank you sooo much for the sweet comment!!! I'm sorry for my absence. School has been soo demanding and I have missed coming to your blog!! I just gave you an award on my site!

    ReplyDelete